Knezevo

Property Description

Rarely in our country and elsewhere in Europe, you can experience where city with nature meet. Knezevo, a small town, 861 m above the sea level, is nested between three rivers (Ugar, Cvrcka and Ilomska) and three mountain (Mount Vlasic, Cemernica and Jezice). There is a  large number drinking water and water stream sources, enormous diversity of flora and fauna, attractive landscapes and vast forest areas are a challenge for tourists of all ages.

Thanks to this Knezevo's location, it has always been known as a health resort.

The town was founded in 1463 under the name of Skender Vakuf. Founder of the city is considered the grandfather of Ali-Skender after whom the city was named. In 1992, authorities in Skender Vakuf changed its name to Knezevo after the name of Milan Knezina from Solaja village where he was a prince once. It is believed that this area was inhabited in ancient times. It is thought that this area was inhabited by people of Illyrian origin who later mixed with Celts and other immigrants, including Slavic tribes. Roman findings include remains of old Christian churc basilicas in the villages Javorani and Imljani, indicating a significant degree of population and cultural development.

Knezevo is the shortest route between two big cities in BiH (Banja Luka and Sarajevo) and consequently has the possibility for development of transit tourism.

Coniferous forests, wooded hills, meadows, plateaus, gorges and three river  canyons provide ideal conditions for tourist, sportsmen, hunters, fishermen and people who are in cardio and pulmonary recovery. Knezevo was previously a very popular tourist destination. This is a place for athletic preparations, a place for snow lovers, hunters, fishermen, people with health issues, especially cardiovascular and pulmonary problems.

As Municipality Knezevo with its geographical and climatic conditions in the mountainous area, it completely meets the necessary conditions for development of winter tourism. Ski Center Knezevo represents the base for winter tourism development.

Cultural and historical heritage, Natural beauties

Churches:

- The old Church

Old wooden church of the Prophet Elijah in the village Imljani, not known when it was built, but what is known that it originates from the Turkish period.

- Recently renovated wooden church of St. Nicholas in Javorani is one of the oldest churches of its kind in the Banja Luka region. It was built in 1757

Tombstones:

- The most known of all the thombstones is necropolis "Marble", consisting of five thombstones. Four tombstones belong to the plate type, and central tombstone is upside-down.

- Another necropolis "Didolovo cemetery" is located near the Ugar. It consists of seven thombstones and chests without inscriptions and ornamentation.

- The village Kobilja is third necropolis. It consists of ten tombstones of which nine belong to the plate type.

- Thombstone in the village Bastina highlights with its relief of hand holding a crutch. Front of the tombstone has are two falcons, crescent moon, the cross and the sun.

- Thombstone in the village of Carici is similar to the one in Bastina village, but it lacks certain ornaments and it can be operated.

Memorial National Liberation War:

- Partisan cemetery in Knezevo, with 85 soldiers buried

- Monument and a memorial fountain in the canyon of Ugar river, in memory of 50 burried soldiers and 16 victims of fascist terror, who died during the 6 enemy offensive battle, January 7- 9, 1944

- Monument with memory fountain for soldiers and victims of fascist terror and the memorial statue of Mihajlo Pavlovic Miki, next to the elementary school in Bastaji.

 

Traditional food and architecture:

- In rural areas of Imljani, Vlatkovic, Koricani and Kobilja has plenty of preserved rural traditional architecture, which in terms of tourist valorization of the region means not only a significant specific social rarity, but far more than their landscape value.

 

Events

- Children sing for St Nikola’s Day, held on Dec. 17th

- Cultural Evening "On the eve of St. Vitus", held on June 27th

- Rural Evenings, held on January 27th

- Woman to Woman, held on March 7th, celebrating Women's Day

- Sheep Exhibition Fair, held in September

- Honey and Bee Farming Fair.

 

National words:

- In Knezevo, St. Sava (Jan 27th), St. Vitus Day (July 27th)

- In Zivinice, St. Peter's (July 12th), Assumption (August 28th)

- In Imljani, St. Peter's (July 12th); At Vidoviste St. Elias (Augusts 2nd);  In Makaric next to the old wooden church,

- In Vlatkovic and Kobilji, on Pentecost,

- In Javorani, St. Elias (August 2nd)

- In Rapti- Radici, Ognjena Marija (July 30th)

All events are local.

Attractions

- Wooden churches in the villages Imljani and Javorani,

- Rivers Ugar, Cvrcka and Ilomska with their canyons,

- Mountain Cemernica, Jezica and Vlasic (Lisana)

- Villages: Koricani, Imljani, Vlatkovic and Kobilja.

Trim trail with outdoor gym, in the forest park Omar near the same named hotel

 

Gastro

The area of the Municipality of Kneževo is known for producing of high quality cheese, of which a real brand is represented by Vlasic cheese.

The original specialties of this region that have always been prepared in households, for various ceremonies and organized events, still popular today are:

- Gruel of corn (cornmeal and wheat flour and Vlasic cheese)

- Cornbread made from corn flour,

- Pogaca bread, made from wheat black flour,

- Fried donuts made from black wheat flour,

- Seafood specialties from local river fish,

- Lamb and veal dishes: organicly fed herds of sheep and cows

Map